Tax Democrats Army Agents

By U.S. Representative Markwayne Mullin
R-Oklahoma

Washington, DC — Among the many dire provisions found in the Democrats’ Cut Inflation Act, there is one in particular that is deeply concerning. This legislation grants $80 billion to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to expand its workforce and hire 87,000 new officers. This plan would make the agency bigger than the Pentagon, State Department and Border Patrol combined.

The IRS is currently sitting on millions of unprocessed tax returns and correspondence files from the past two years. These bureaucratic delays prevent hard-working men and women from receiving the money that is owed to them.

However, only 3% of this new funding will go to customer service to address this massive backlog. That means the remaining 97% will go to expanding IRS staff to increase audits on every American.

Joe Biden campaigned on a promise that he would not raise taxes on Americans earning less than $400,000 a year. With this expansion, he broke that promise.

The Joint Committee on Taxation and Congressional Budget Office (CBO) reports that lower- and middle-class Americans will face about 710,000 additional audits because of this provision. The CBO also estimated that this expansion will generate $200 billion in new taxes, mostly from lower-to-middle-class Americans and small-business owners.

Democrats thought they could get away with it on the pretext of closing the tax gap. This absurd claim has been debunked by the Treasury’s own documents, the CBO and the Joint Committee on Taxation.

Washington shouldn’t use your taxes to solve its spending problem. It’s incomprehensible. Years ago, people who pulled through and worked hard every day could be successful.

Today, the federal government has made it nearly impossible for honest people who put in an honest day’s work to get ahead. The Democratic fiscal and spending spree must end. I will continue to work every day to get this country back on track and get the federal government out of your way.